An Immigration Law Blog Thing


It is extremely important that you keep USCIS updated on any changes to your address.You must report a new address to USCIS within 10 days each time you move, even if you are moving to a temporary location. If you have not reported your change of address within 10 days of your move, you must still update your address with USCIS as soon as possible.

If you fail to inform USCIS of a change of address you may not receive notices that are sent by mail. If USCIS issues a Request for Evidence or other notice to an out of date address and you do not receive it, then you may be denied an immigration benefit. USCIS sends biometrics appointment and interview notifications by mail and if your address is inaccurate or out of date then you will not receive any notification of the date, time, and location of your appointment. If you fail to appear for scheduled appointments then your application will be deemed be abandoned.

You can update your address by mail using a Form AR-11, Alien’s Change of Address Card, or through the USCIS website using the form at For detailed instructions on special situations which require a paper Form AR-11, see the USCIS Change of Address page.


You can print out a Form AR-11, Alien’s Change of Address form, being careful to list ALL RECEIPT NUMBERS if you have multiple applications or benefits requests pending before USCIS (if you have filed an I-485, application for adjustment of status and an I-765 application for employment authorization, you must list both of those receipt numbers on your AR-11).

When you complete and print the form to mail it, make sure that the form edition date and page numbers are visible at the bottom of all pages and that all pages are from the same form edition. If any of the form’s pages are missing or are from a different form edition, USCIS will reject your form.

If you need help downloading and printing forms, read USCIS’ instructions for downloading and printing forms.

IMPORTANT: You must print the document and write your signature by hand before submitting your form. USCIS will not accept a stamped or typewritten name in place of a signature.

Make sure that you are using the proper edition of the Form AR-11 by downloading it directly from the website. Currently USCIS is accepting the edition dated 11/02/22. USCIS will also accept the 08/31/21 edition, as of the date of this post. You can find the edition date at the bottom of the page on the form and instructions (dates are listed in mm/dd/yy format.).


Log into your USCIS Online Account at (If you do not have a USCIS Online Account then you can create one here) and click on “update address.”

If your receipt number begins with IOE: If you filed a paper form and the receipt number begins with IOE, USCIS mailed you an Account Notice that explains how you can link your paper case to the online account. The notice has an Online Access Code you use to link your case. The code is valid for 90 days. If you need a new code, you can request one using this web form.


I am a U.S. citizen who petitioned for a relative or signed an affidavit of support for someone, am I obligated to keep USCIS apprised of any change in address?

If the associated application/petition is still pending before USCIS, then yes. If you are a U.S. citizen or national and have submitted an affidavit of support for another person, you must submit Form I-865, Sponsor’s Notice of Change of Address, within 30 days of your move.


USCIS has video tutorials showing you how to update your address through your USCIS online account. If you filed a paper form with a receipt number that begins with IOE, you can link your paper case to your USCIS online account and update your address in your account.

Make sure that you list all receipt numbers for pending benefits requests with USCIS on your Form AR-11.

Changing your address with the U.S. Postal Service (USPS) or another U.S. government agency will not change your address with USCIS. Please update your information with both USCIS and USPS.

Warning: Many non-USCIS websites also offer immigration forms for downloading. These sites may also ask you to pay for immigration forms (which are available for free on our website) and may not have the correct form version. In some circumstances, your case may be delayed or rejected if you use an outdated form. You can find the latest version any USCIS form on their website on the Forms page.