An Immigration Law Blog Thing

Category: FAQ

  • When or Where is my Immigration Court Hearing?

    When or Where is my Immigration Court Hearing?

    How to check your immigration court hearing date and time. How to find out if you have an immigration court hearing. Check immigration hearing date. What is my immigration hearing location?

    Continue reading

  • Special Immigrant Juvenile Adjustment of Status

    WHO IS ELIGIBLE TO ADJUST STATUS TO A LEGAL PERMANENT RESIDENT THROUGH SIJS? In order to adjust status as a special immigrant juvenile, the applicant must: 1) be eligible to adjust status, 2) have an immediately available visa, and 3) demonstrate that they merit a favorable exercise of discretion. What is my priority Date and…

    Continue reading



    WHAT IS THE SELECTIVE SERVICE? The Military Selective Service Act requires that all men (including anyone whose gender was assigned as male on their birth certificate) living in the United States register with the Selective Service System (SSS) within 30 days of their 18th birthday. The SSS is used by the U.S. government in times…

    Continue reading


    What is a ITIN? Who can get a TIN? How do I get a TIN? How do I pay taxes without having a social security number? How do I file taxes as undocumented immigrant?

    Continue reading

  • WHAT IS INA 245(i)?

    What is Section 245(i) of the Immigration and Nationality Act? Section 245(i) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) allows certain noncitizens physically present in the United States to adjust status to a lawful permanent resident despite being ineligible to adjust status under INA 245(a) because they entered the United States without inspection, violated their…

    Continue reading

  • Residency Category Codes

    Residency Category Codes

    Immigrant Classes of Admission A lawful permanent resident (LPR) or “green card” recipient may live and work anywhere in the United States and may apply to become U.S. citizens if they meet certain eligibility and admissibility requirements. The Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) provides several broad classes of admission for foreign nationals to gain LPR…

    Continue reading

  • What to do if You missed your Hearing & Were Ordered Removed

    What to do if You missed your Hearing & Were Ordered Removed

    If you missed an immigration court hearing, you most likely received a removal order for being absent (an in absentia removal order). You can take to try to reopen your case but it is important that you file a motion to reopen as soon as possible. You are obligated to act as soon as you…

    Continue reading

  • Family Reunification Parole Email Invitations Begin Going Out Today

    Family Reunification Parole Email Invitations Begin Going Out Today

    The family reunification parole (FRP) processes are available by invitation only to certain petitioners who filed an approved Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, on behalf of a principal beneficiary who is a national of Colombia, El Salvador, Guatemala, or Honduras, and their immediate family members. These processes allow an eligible beneficiary to be considered…

    Continue reading

  • Affirmative Asylum FAQ’s

    Affirmative Asylum FAQ’s

    Will I Be Required to Undergo Any Other Criminal or Security Checks? Yes. Every individual who applies for asylum will be subject to a series of background/security checks. You will not have to complete any additional steps to complete your background/security check once you have submitted your Form I-589 and have had your fingerprints taken.…

    Continue reading

  • FAQ: Special Immigrant Juvenile Status

    FAQ: Special Immigrant Juvenile Status

    SIJ Deferred Action: Process and Timelines for Adjudication If I file Form I-360, Petition for Amerasian, Widow(er), or Special Immigrant, as a special immigrant juvenile (SIJ), will you make a deferred action assessment at the same time as the Form I-360 assessment? For most pending and future SIJ cases, we will automatically make a deferred…

    Continue reading

  • FAQ: Naturalization (citizenship)

    FAQ: Naturalization (citizenship)

    Do I need a lawyer to apply for U.S. citizenship? No. You can file USCIS forms yourself, including Form N-400, Application for Naturalization, which can be submitted online. However, some people choose to seek assistance from a lawyer or Executive Office for Immigration Review (EOIR)-accredited representative.  If you decide to get legal assistance, you can start here:…

    Continue reading


    Do I NEED TO FILE A TAX RETURN EVERY YEAR IF I AM IN THE U.S.? Yes. Anyone whose income meets the tax return filing threshold, regardless of immigration status, should file a tax return to show they have complied with tax laws. Filing taxes every year also helps to document physical presence in the…

    Continue reading